Making First Grade FANTASTIC

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Classroom Tour

Well, let's start off with a classroom tour.  I've gotten some of my greatest steals ideas by looking into other classrooms.  I love to walk through the halls the day before school starts and just stand at each doorway and look around the classrooms.  Everything so perfect and fresh and new.

When I set up my classroom each year, I carefully think through the placement of each table and learning center.  In our school, most classrooms have desks, but thankfully, I have tables.  In first grade, we have a center time each day (more on that another time).  Some centers are permanent: library, listening center, computers, smartboard.  Most centers, however, change weekly.  I just need to make sure that I have spaces for the children to work.  After I plan the location of the tables and centers, I can start thinking about how I want to organize and manage my classroom for the year.

**As you view these pictures, please keep in mind that these were taken at the beginning of the year, before school started, so there is not student work up.**

This is what you will see when you first enter the classroom.  Here's my smartboard and carpet area where most whole-group instruction is held.


When you turn to the left, this is what you will see...student work tables, followed by tables that are used for learning centers, the computers in the back left, the library in the back right, and storage shelves on the right side.


Here's a view of the wall next to my door.  You can see the word wall, student hooks, and storage cabinets.  We add different vowel patterns to each cupboard as we learn them throughout the year.


Here are some pictures of the back of my room, including: computers, center tables, listening center, and my classroom library.




Coming from the back, we are now looking at the storage shelves back towards the front left corner, where my desk is.  I think the teacher desks in our school are ginormous and take up way too much adult space, but it wasn't my choice. 


Here are a couple pictures of the front of my room.  Here, you'll see my calendar, 100s chart, easel, and some storage lockers.


That's it!  Wow, I'm just realizing how much my room arrangement has changed since the beginning of the year.  I'm always reflecting on how the room is working to provide the best learning environment for my students.  If I'm not liking how something is working out, I change it.  I'll have to post some updates and explain my reasoning for rearranging some of my furnishings.

 Looking back at these photos has given me some great ideas for posts, so please stay tuned. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how organized and peaceful your classroom is! Can you tell me about your chair pockets?

    シ Tracey
    Our Cool School

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracey!! I'll be sure to do a post on the chair pockets soon. I need to replace a few this year.

    ReplyDelete