Making First Grade FANTASTIC

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Prepping for a Sub

I was lucky to have a student teacher for the fall semester, so the couple days I needed a sub, I didn't think twice about it.  Tomorrow is going to be the first day I've missed since Christmas and I spent 3 hours getting ready for my sub...for one day!!  

I have emergency plans set aside for days when I can't prepare for a sub. And, I can always count on my teammates to help get a sub through the day if need be.  But...when I know I won't be there, I can't help it.  I type directions for the day out word for word.  Every activity is sitting on my desk with sticky notes attached.  All materials are prepped and out on display, ready to go.  You'd think after 8 years of teaching I'd have learned to let go, even a little bit, but I can't.  

Anyone else this crazy and neurotic about sub plans?  I just can't let go. :)

2 comments:

  1. I do the SAME thing!!! I hate being out. I'll go to school sick because it is too much work to prep for the substitute. I've heard of sub tubs and I think this summer I'm going to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do EXACTLY the same thing... and I have the same thoughts - after 6 years, why can't I let go a little?! I don't think it's that I'm a control freak, I think I'm more concerned about a sub feeling prepared and having everything he/she needs. Plus, I don't ever want it to be a "wasted" day. I want them to do exactly what they would do if I were there! I got picked for jury duty last year and was gone for 7 weeks. I was here several nights a week in the dark getting things ready... even then I couldn't let go!

    ReplyDelete