Making First Grade FANTASTIC

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Wonders of Fabric

Have you discovered the wonders of cheap fabric in your classroom?  Fabric makes a fantastic bulletin board background.

It is wondrous for so many reasons:

  • It comes in a gazillion colors and patterns.
  • It doesn't fade.
  • It self-corrects when you remove staples or pins.
  • You can stretch it over your board to remove all wrinkles and creases, leaving only a beautifully smooth and vibrant background.
  • It can be cheaper than fadeless paper, especially if you use coupons.
I purchased all my fabric at Walmart back when ours still had a fabric section.  It is basic quilt fabric and was $2 a yard.  If I was patient, I probably could have found fabric at Jo-Anns in the clearance section and used a coupon for **really** cheap fabric.

My boards happen to about 47 inches from top to bottom, which is perfect for a basic bolt of fabric.  Fabric usually comes in a width of 45 inches, so I don't have to trim the fabric on the top and bottom of the boards.  I just make sure it's centered so my boarder covers the edges.

My mother-in-law gave me the best tip for hanging paper when I first started teaching and this tip is the best for using fabric.  Use push-pins to hold the fabric and stretch it before stapling it in place.  I usually start by pinning the top left corner.  Then I stretch the fabric tight at the top and pin the top right corner.  Then I do the same with the other two corners.  Finally, I go along all four sides and stretch and pin every few inches.  Last, I follow with the stapler.  Yes, it takes a little time, but trust me.  The results are beautiful.  Plus, I have purposely chosen colors that I can keep up all year long, so I don't have to worry about removing the staples every few weeks.  

I have had all my fabric up since I moved into my current room four years ago.  I don't even remove it in the summer.  It still looks like it did the day I put it up.  See for yourself...





I just love how the fabric adds a bright and cheery pop of color to my classroom.  And since I did choose basic colors instead of prints, it's easy for me to change up my boards all year long.  



1 comment:

  1. I love using fabric! It is so much easier to use and you can re-use it!

    ReplyDelete