Making First Grade FANTASTIC

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

You're "Write" On, Valentine

This year, my class has had a wonderful time exchanging packages with another first grade class on the other side of the country.  I was looking for a quick and easy valentine the kids could make for their pen pals.  I wanted something cute, but light enough that it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to send.

Here's what we ended up making:




Just in case you can see the words very well, the paper hearts say:

(name),
You're write on!
Love,
(name)

I had the kids trace a heart on pink paper.  After they cut the hearts out, I punched two holes for the pencil.  Then, the kids wrote the message and decorated the hearts.  I put the pencils through the holes, as the hole punch was just a smidge smaller than the pencil.  I had visions of many torn hearts!  

Of course, this was also a great time to talk about homophones and why this is actually a "punny" little valentine.  

The kids are thrilled to be sending these special valentine's across the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment